Monday, March 9, 2015
*Adapted from Gal on a Mission.
Prep: 30 minutes
Serves: 12 mini-casseroles
9 large eggs
8 oz ground breakfast sausage
1 red, yellow, or green bell pepper
1 cup frozen kale (slightly thawed and chopped)
1/4 tsp pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees; spray a muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray or coat with coconut oil. Set aside.
2. Brown the ground sausage over medium heat.
3. In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs and then add in the sausage, peppers, kale, and pepper. Scoop the batter into the muffin tins using a 1/4-cup measuring cup, filling 3/4 of the way to the top.
4. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until eggs are set. Allow to cool for 5 minutes then use a knife to loosen the sides.
Note: These freeze well.
Friday, March 6, 2015
*Adapted from Better Homes and Gardens.
Prep: 30 minutes
3 Tbsp Dijon mustard
3 Tbsp honey
12 oz cooked smoked sausage, bias cut in 3/4" slices (I used turkey sausage)
1 apple, cored and cut into 1/2" wedges
1 zucchini, halved and cut in 1/2" slices (sprinkle with salt to enhance flavor)
6 oz crusty bread, cut into 1" pieces
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Stir together mustard and honey in a small bowl.
2. Alternately thread sausage, apples, and zucchini on skewers, leaving 1/4" between pieces. Brush with some of the honey-mustard; reserve remaining honey-mustard. Place on rack of unheated broiler pan. Change oven setting to broil and broil kabobs 4-5 inches from heat for 4 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, thread bread skewers; lightly brush with olive oil.
4. Turn sausage skewers, brush with more honey-mustard, and add bread skewers to the pan. Broil 3 minutes more or until sausage is heated through and bread is toasted, turning bread once.
5. Serve with honey-mustard.
Note: Try with other veggies--sweet potato, red onion, bell peppers, corn, yellow squash, broccoli, or carrots.
*Adapted from Bobby's Lighter Tastes Like Lasagna Soup.
Prep: 45 minutes
2 tsp olive oil.
1 lb Italian mild turkey (or pork) sausage, casings removed
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 (32 oz) container chicken broth
1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
1 (14 1/2 oz) can petite diced tomato
1/2 tsp minced onion
1/2 tsp salt
5 whole wheat lasagna noodles, broken into 1/2" pieces
1/2 tsp dried basil
1 zucchini, diced
1 yellow squash, diced
3 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1. Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a large nonstick saucepot or Dutch oven. Add the sausage and cook over medium-high heat stirring occasionally until the sausage is crumbled and browned, 8-10 minutes. Add the garlic and sautee for an additional 2 minutes.
2. Add the broth, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, minced onion, and salt, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the flavors are blended, about 20 minutes.
3. Add the noodles, basil, zucchini, and squash; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the soup thickens slightly and the noodles are tender, 10-15 minutes.
4. Remove from the heat and stir in Parmesan and mozzarella cheese.
Serve with salad and breadsticks.