4 cups Dr. Pepper (do NOT use diet soda)
1/2 cup kosher salt
3-4 lbs. boneless center-cut pork loin
1 jar (9 ox.) tart cherry preserves
1/2 cup Dr. Pepper
1/2 cup water
1-2 Tbsp minced canned chipotle in adobo
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1. Pour the soda into a large bowl and slowly add the salt (the mixture will foam up quite a bit so be sure to use a bowl large enough to prevent overflowing.) Stir until the salt dissolves completely, 1-2 minutes. Place a large, disposable plastic bag inside a large bowl and carefully pour the brine into the bag.
2. Trim excess fat and silver skin from the pork. Submerge the pork in the brine, seal the bag, and refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
3. In a small bowl, combine the glaze ingredients.
4. Remove the pork from the bag and discard the brine. Pat dry with paper towels. Lightly coat the pork with oil and let stand at room temperature for 20-30 minutes before cooking. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
5. Preheat a dutch oven pot on high heat. Sear all sides of the pork for several minutes, then turn off the heat and pour the glaze over the meat. Cover and transfer to the preheated oven. Roast at 350 degrees for 30 minutes to 1 hour. Rotate the meat in the glaze every 10 minutes and add a little water or more soda if glaze gets too thick or starts to scorch. Remove meat when internal temperature reaches 145-150 degrees.
*If grilling, do not use a dutch oven. Instead, sear all sides over direct high heat then transfer to a disposable foil pan containing the glaze. Continue cooking over indirect high heat with grill lid closed, rotating the meat as indicated above.
Recommendation: Serve with Lena's Spicy Apple Barbecue Sauce and Lena's Cranberry & Cilantro Quinoa Salad.